At the Alshaya Retail Academy, we are focused on giving people the opportunity to learn and practise the essential retail skills they need to start or develop their careers with confidence. The training programme has been developed in cooperation with HRDF, and it is accredited by the Saudi Skills Standards authority. Graduates of the ‘Introduction to Retail’ programme receive an On the Job Fashion Retail Certificate – Level 1, which is accredited by the Saudi government.
- Sales Professional
- The ‘Introduction to Retail’ programme is designed to develop each student’s basic skills and is made up of seven units as follows:
Delivery is divided into the three primary stages :
- Stage 1: Introduction to Retail
- Stage 2: Understanding Retail
- Stage 3: Practicing Retail
- Stage 1 - Introducing You To Retail
- When trainees join the Academy, they are first given basic skills and knowledge about the retail industry, as well as being introduced to Alshaya. Over 24 hours of learning the following will be covered:
- Introduction to the Academy and to Alshaya
- An overview of the retail sector and the career opportunities it offers
- Cashier skills
- Business behaviour
- First aid
- Fire evacuation
- Stage 2 - Understanding Retail
- Once trainees are more familiar with the retail industry and Alshaya, they move on to the second module, which provides them with deeper knowledge and understanding of what working successfully in retail involves. This 115-hour module covers:
- Sales Skills
- Customer Service
- Communication Skills
- Business Etiquette
- Alshaya’s processes and business regulations
- Stage 3 - Practising Retail
- In the final module before trainees graduate from the Academy, they gain hands-on experience working in-store within one of Alshaya’s wide range of leading international brands. This module lets trainees practice the core skills and knowledge they have gained in the classroom and gives them the confidence to engage successfully with customers in a real-life retail environment. The students also receive additional training on basic computer and English language skills.
- Additional Modules
- In addition to these three primary modules, the Academy provides two additional modules on computer and English language skills. These run in parallel with the other three modules throughout the three-month training programme, and together add up to a further 120 hours of training.
- Management Trainee Programme
In May 2015, the Academy launched the advanced Store Management Trainee Programme (Tomooh) for Saudi university graduates and diploma holders. The programme offers Saudi university graduates and diploma holders training in skills that include managing staff, cost control, communication, stock management, HR policies, visual merchandising, and other skills required to manage restaurants and retail stores. It consists of 18 weeks of on-the-job training at the stores and eight weeks of classroom training at the Academy.
The new six-month training programme has been developed in partnership with HRDF, and it is accredited by Saudi Skills Standards (SSS) and HRDF’s Doroob.
- Eligibility Requirements
- As the retail industry grows and creates job opportunities across the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Alshaya Retail Academy is able to offer the right start to Saudi citizens who demonstrate a desire to start a career in retail. As an institution accredited by the HRDF, applicants must fulfil the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a Saudi national, wife of a Saudi national, or daughter of Saudi mother
- Be between 18 and 35 years old
- Hold a High School Certificate
- Not be registered in GOSI (General Organisation for Social Insurance)
- Pass a personal interview and placement assessment test
- Have no criminal record
- Not registered as a student at a university
- University Graduate / Diploma holder for the Management programme